Thursday, March 1, 2012

Crime Shows

On February 22nd, I decided that it was time to take a break from watching my new favorite guilty pleasure. Sometimes, especially for someone with a vivid imagination, watching too many crime shows can really get to you. Too many fictional scenarios of kidnappings & murders, get me to start thinking how possible those same things are in my life.

For instance, I decided to go on a walk in my neighborhood and as I was enjoying the fresh air & beautiful sunny day, I also noticed that the creepy man walking toward me could easily be cast as an "evil" man in a crime show. As he came closer I felt my whole body tense...

(I know that if anything ever happened to me that would require a "fight or flight" reaction, I would have to FIGHT. I know better. I can't even consider the flight option because I am out of shape and hopelessly clumsy.)

Of course he walked by me, as most east coasters do, without even making eye contact. I almost started to laugh at how ridiculous I am, but then I felt someone run up behind me and I just knew that I was about to be part of my worst nightmare. I immediately separated my feet shoulder wide, bent my knees in the most secure stance I could and simultaneously brought both my hands up in fists (thumb on the outside) in front of my face. Thinking the whole time that I would get in one good hit before I went down.

Turns out that it was just a runner. Not the creepy man coming back to kill me.

I don't think the runner was worried, he was fast, and way past me before he turned around to stare / shake his head.

But as I took a deep breath and continued my walk I decided two things -

1. I should always walk with a friend (just in case).

2. I need to stop watching crime shows.

So I decided that I will give up watching Medium for 47 days. I'll miss Alison, Joe and the kids but I know that Netflix will save my spot and they will be there waiting when I'm ready to start watching again. Plus this opens up a lot more time to watch some movies :)

3 comments:

Cali said...

Glad you were safe:) Let me know when you want Piper and me come watch a movie with you!

Rachel said...

I'll go walking with you!!!! pick me!

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

I've never heard of Medium, but I love crime shows!!!! I watched the entire series of Numb3rs when G was tiny and nursed for 45 minutes. it was awesome!!!! I also loved Lie to Me. CSI was too gruesome.