Friday, February 25, 2011

Food is Love



I learned a great truth from my Mamaw as a little girl. Basically is boils down to the simple statement - Food is Love. This always leads me in two different directions. One - If you love someone, you will feed them. (Whether they are hungry or not.) And two - If someone loves you, they will love the food you cook. I know if your last name isn't Rentzel you might not understand this, but trust me, it is true.

My Mamaw was born in 1925 and grew up in Glades, PA. She is a strong, giving and loving woman, rich with opinions and traditions. She is also one of the best cooks in my life. Some of my favorite dishes she makes are - Hog Maw, Chicken Cacciatore, Fried Livers & Mashed Potatoes, Red Beets w/Eggs, Potato Salad, Lemon Sponge Pie, Chocolate Cake w/Peanut Butter Icing, Chocolate Peanut Butter Easter Eggs, and Poof (Watergate Salad).

This past Christmas she kept telling me how much she liked my new shoes..... so I bought her a pair to match! She asked me if a "Grandma can wear silver shoes with sparkles?" and I replied that they can wear whatever they choose.


I love her so much and I'm so blessed to have her in my life. The silver shoes look good. Right?

3 comments:

Cali said...

I love the sparkle shoes. And, I agree about food!

Unknown said...

what a precious Grandma. You are lucky to have her and she is lucky to have you too! And the shoes are too cute :)

Angie said...

I didn't know you eat Hogmaw. Ew.

Enjoy your precious time with your sweet grandma. I miss mine so much.