Monday, March 14, 2011

Boot Camp


It seems that ever since I had my 24th birthday I have been slowly and consistently gaining weight and getting lazy. Sometimes I feel that it is my right. I'm an adult, if I want to follow that path, I know no one will stop me. I like to sleep in. I like to eat out. I like to watch movies. I like to make and eat baked goods. Problem is - I'd also like to be able to walk up a flight of stairs with out breathing hard!! and somewhere inside of me I really do believe that I should take care of my body.

Last year I decided that I would start running. Spring of 2010 - I knew there needed to be a plan - so I walked and walked and walked....then I tried to jog (but often ended up walking) one of my awesome roommates often offered to come along and was a great cheerleader. I found that I do not self-motivate. I do better when someone is watching. I push myself and try harder. I started having more energy and I slept better at night. The system seemed to be working and I felt great.

Then it got cold - and I stopped - everything I had started.

Feb 3rd, Living Social offered a month of Boot Camp Exercise Classes for $25. The class is 45 minutes and starts at 5:15 AM - Monday thru Friday. I think it would be a great way to get back on that horse - you know the one I fell off of in the fall? Seems like a good deal right?

Well the class is full of skinny, toned girls. They can do push ups, sit ups, run the stairs and do a million reps with out slowing down. I can honestly say that it intimidates me. I may also admit that I get discouraged that I can't seem to do a fraction of what everyone in the room is doing and that after 3 classes, I was sure that I would quit. But, the very best part is - that I also think it is funny. Funny that I can't even do one push up or one sit up. Funny that my arms are burning after 5 reps and funny that I have to move out of the way on the stairs so I don't get run over.

Now ask me why would I share this internal drama with my friends? I'd like you to hold me to my commitment. I signed up for three months of this torture - March, April and May. My teacher promises that I will see progress if I do my best during every class. So please, ask me how it is going and when I tell you how horrible it is, give me a hug and tell me I can do it!

9 comments:

Lalana said...

You can totally do this! Those girls aren't skinny just by luck. Try to look at them as your end result after all the hard times! LOVE YA!!!!

Czechdeb said...

Go, Kristine! I think a sense of humor is key. I recently ran a 5k and was feeling pretty good about my time until I saw that the woman who finished right in front of me won her age category--for 60-69! Ha ha! I'm proud of you--this is about being YOUR best, not anyone else's.

josh said...

I am super impressed that you work out at 5:15 in the morning! And, I definitely think you will notice a difference. I'm sure there are days that you REALLY don't want to get out of bed. However, the fact that you are willing to push yourself says a lot! (Cali)

Rachel said...

Kristine, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! You can always do it!!! I'll encourage you anytime at 5 a.m....or later.

LOVE YOU!

Heather said...

You've TOTALLY got this! Wahoo!!!! Go Kristine!

Jen Athay said...

I wish I could be here more often to do it with you! But alas I cannot so I will cheer you on from afar. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Anna said...

Do it!! You'll feel great and it'll be totally worth it. And ignore those toned skinny girls, just hang in there. They will probably be inspired to see you there doing it too. Keep it up!

Tiffanie said...

I think it is so awesome you're doing this! My old roommate wanted me to sign up with her for a boot camp and there was nothing she could do to convince me! Keep it up :)

Rachelle said...

bah! you can do it kristine!!!

i get intimidated just by running with friends because they are faster and yada yada yada. it's hard to exercise and get out of bed.

here is your hug over the computer. ha!