Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Little surprises

Today is Wednesday - and it is my least favorite day of Boot Camp class. Wednesdays are "long run" days. We meet at 5:15 am and the teacher takes attendance and suggests a route.

I say "my least favorite day" because I have a mental block, a big one, that I just can't get past. I have a hard time running for more than 4 minutes at a time. If I know the distance - I often quit running after a 1/2 mile.

I'm sure I could go further - but when my legs hurt and my lungs burn - I just can't seem to make myself push through the pain.

This morning, I decided to tag along with two ladies (just cause it was so dark & a little creepy out) and I mentioned that I would try and keep up but not to worry if I couldn't. They gave each other a "look" and we started at a quick power walk pace (think "high school shuffle").

Once we were a few blocks away (and out of the teacher's sight) they slowed a little and said "We are just walking today. If YOU want to run, we might fall behind."

What a simple phrase to make me so happy. We walked just under 3 miles and were finished by 6 am. I decided to celebrate and have some chocolate for breakfast. I hope the rest of the day is just as good.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

yay!! I love this!!! Great morning already!